Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Sports as Popular Culture

Teaching Versus Coaching

I found the article titled Expertise in coaching and teaching: A qualitative study of physical educators and athletic coaches particularly interesting. It seems to me that this idea of the phy-ed coach who cares more about coaching than teaching is a theme too often seen in today's public schools. I guess I feel that our culture puts more emphasis and importance on team sports and their success (or lack there of) then what is going on educationally in the classroom. You see it when you look at the pay scale for someone teaching speech, theatre, tutoring, clubs...they are all paid considerably less than a football or hockey coach. And why is that? Aren't both equally important to ensuring a well-rounded individual?

I found the study, in many ways, reinforcing some of my beliefs. The fact that the study proved that coaches spent more time on instructional strategies for game day than in the classroom speaks loud and clear to what is important: sports. I guess I have always known that this double standard was present, but one thing I didn't think about before was the pressure these teachers have to win games and how winning games decides their fate in the school system. I found it interesting that coaches "are seldom fired for teaching inadequacy but are recurrently terminated for losing in athletics" (Hardin, page 2). What then does this say about our society? It states very clearly to students, teachers, administration, and parents that our values in the culture by which we live puts higher value on athleticism than intellect. As an educator that teaches English, I find this particularly disturbing.

I think a lesson on the topic of value and what makes something valuable could be interesting in relation to this article. I think having students page through some old yearbooks (maybe even mine) and pull out what they felt were the "valued" aspects of that year and explain why would be a great starting point.

My hope is to have students really center on the value that is placed on sports in school. I may then show images of a basketball, football player with that of an National Honor Society member and see which one is more important or valuable and why? We could then talk about whether or not the value placed solely on sports is good. What other traits other than athleticism might an individual need to be successful in life? Are they valued in the school setting? Why or why not? Hopefully after this mini-lesson students will be able to better understand the power value has in society and how it shapes who and what we are.


The Gulf War Superbowl

I remember being in the twelfth grade and finding out that one of my close friends was headed off to the Gulf War. Not being much of a sports fan back then, I do not remember watching the Super Bowl that year, but I am sure that I must have tuned in at one time or another.

I was shocked that at a time of war that the Super Bowl was even aloud to be broad casted. to me, it seems like a huge conflict of interest to be covering the Gulf War at half-time. This idea that the troops would even have time to watch the first half of the Super Bowl is absolutely ridiculous. I personally think Coca-Cola had it right. Pull their ads and make a huge donation. I guess I can also understand that at time of war and international crisis, the American citizens need a distraction which the Super Bowl can fill.

If I was to teach this in the classroom, it could possibly fit into my Holocaust Unit in talking about war propaganda. I think some follow-up questions could be:

What is propaganda and when is it appropriate to use it?
Do you think the Super Bowl should have been televised? Why or why not?
Do you think that this could be seen as a tribute to our troops or was it more of a distraction?
Do you think that at times of war, the American people need a distraction from the "task at hand?" Why or why not?
Do you think Coca-Cola did the right thing by pulling their ads during the Super Bowl?

No comments: