Sunday, February 3, 2008

Pop Videos..

After watching Lil Kim's video I was somewhat appalled eventhough I know that she is the type of singer that likes to push the envelope. All I kept thinking to myself is that my daughter some day will probably be watching videos like this. Knowing that they are not going to go away any time soon, it is my job as a parent then to teach my daughter how to look at media through a critical lens.

In Fiona Apple's video, she too, was using her sexuality to sell her music. Although this one was sexually charged, I did not find this one to be in my face as much as Lil Kim's.

Lastly, Avril Levine's video seemed to be the most traditional. Girl likes boy. Boy messes up. Girl moves on. This to me was a more wholesome view of teenage love.

In all, I believe that a women can be strong and in charge of her sexuality without throwing it out there in such a negative way.

No comments: