Friday, January 25, 2008

Should popular culture be brought into the classroom?


This has been a hotly debated topic that has been around certainly since I started college in 1991, and without a doubt, has been a hotly debated topic before that. I know for myself, I have been for and against the inclusion of popular culture in the classroom at different periods in my life. As an English teacher, I have always felt that my primary role is to make sure that my students can at the vary basic level read, write, and think critically. My other job is to prepare them for the world outside the classroom. In my younger years, I never would have thought to include popular culture as a tool do to teach these skills, but with age also comes wisdom. What seems like such a novice idea to include the medium they, the students, are already tapped into makes a lot of sense. However, it receives much scrutiny from both parents, teachers, and administration. How can the stigma of popular culture inclusion in the academic setting be changed?

No comments: